Hello friends, In this post, I am going to tell you about the Operating system.
This guide helps me a lot to grow up my knowledge. And in some way, I am going to tell you some information about the Operating system.
Let’s dive right in.
2.History of an operating system.
3.Example of an operating system with market value.
4.Feature and feature of an operating system.
5.The internal structure of an operating system.
6.Types of an operating system.
7.Advantages of an operating system.
8.The disadvantage of an operating system.
9.Distributed operating system
10.Multiprogramming operating system
11.Operating system MCQ
An operating system is a collection of programs that manage or control the two main components of a computer system. That is Hardware or Software
Every computer must want one Operating system to run other programs. Such as Chrom, MS Word, Games, E.T.C.
The Operating system helps you to communicate with the computer without knowing its language. It is totally impossible for the user to use any type of Computer or Devices without
Having any type of Operating system.
History of an operating system
- The operating system was first developed in 1950 to manage tape storage.
- The first OS company called IBM. The OS was known as IBM 701.
- In 1960s OS first time using the disk.
- The UNIX OS was first developed in the 1960s.
- Microsoft builds the first OS called DOS. It was built in 1981.
- Nowadays everyone used the most popular GUI based windows OS. It was developed in 1985.
Example of an operating system with, market value
|Windows Phone OS||0.06|
Feature and Function of an operating system
Here some common list of the important feature of an operating system.
- Provide User Interface.
- Logical Access Security.
- Manipulation of the file system.
- Resource allocation.
- File management.
- Security and firewall.
- Memory management.
- Device management.
- User interface.
The internal structure of an operating system
The operating system includes different types of components to perform different types of tasks.
- Application programming interface.
- File system.
- Device drivers.
what is kernel-: Every computer has hardware and software which is control by the kernel and in this post, I will tell you about kernel. It is the main component of an operating system and it handles all the hardware and software.
What is API-: Application Program Interface. They are the routines or small program codes that are required for the communication among the software application. Additionally API is used when programming graphical user interfaces components. A good API makes it easier to develop a program by providing all the building blocks. A programmer then puts the blocks together.
File system -: It manages all the files and folder created in a computer system.
Device Driver -: It mange all the devices attached to a computer system.
Types of an operating system
The operating system is divided into 3 parts.
- Based on the user interface.
- Based on task support at a time.
- Based on the number of user-supported
User Interface-: It provides an interface through which the user interacts with the computer system and gives instruction to it.
It is divided into three parts.
- Graphical user interface. (CUI)
- Character user interface. (GUI)
Task supported at a time: For doing different types of task it is divided into 7 parts.
- Single-tasking operating system.
- Multi-tasking operating system.
- Batch operating system.
- Time-sharing operating system.
- Distributed operating system.
- Network operating system.
- Real-time operating system.
Single Task Operating System-: It allows only one program to be opened used at a time.
MultiTasking Operating System-: In its multiple process or task, can run on a single computer.
Batch Operating System-: It executes the number of jobs in groups called batches. it was primarily used when the computer was just invented.
Time-Sharing Operating System-: It assing the CPU to multiple processes by switching the CPU between the processer.
Distribute Operating system-: It allows multiple processes to be used by multiple programming at the same time so that multiple real-time applications and multiple users can be served.
Network Operating System-: It works in the client and server networked environment. it is installed on the server computer and do the task of managing data, user, groups, and other network application.
Real-Time Operating System-: It defines as a data processing system in which the time interval required to process and respond to input, is small and it guarantees to process that input in a specific time.
Distributed Operating System -: A distributed operating system is a software over a collection of independent, network, communication, and physically separate computational nodes. Distributed Operating System is a model where distributed applications are running on multiple computers linked by communications.
This system looks to its users like an ordinary centralized operating system but runs on multiple, independent central processing units (CPUs).
Advantage of an operating system
- It allows you to hide details of hardware by creating an abstraction.
- Easy to use with a GUI.
- It provides the computer system resources with easy to use format.
- It offers an environment in which a user may execute programs/applications.
- It can be easily used because it has a graphical user interface. And new users can run computers easily.
- we can share one data with a lot of users.
- Allocating memory is easy and cheap.
- More efficient swapping.
The disadvantage of an operating system
- If any issue occurs in OS, you may be lost all the content which have been stored in your system.
- Longer memory access time (page table lookup).
- Can be improve using TLB
- Inverted page table.