Merging and Splitting Cells
One table can be split into two tables, and two tables can be merged into a single table. Tables can only be split horizontally.
To split a table
- Place the cursor in a cell that will be in the top row of the second table after the split (the table splits immediately above the cursor).
- Choose Table → Split Table from the Menu bar.
- A Split Table dialog opens. You can select No heading or an alternative formatting for the heading—the top row(s) of the new table.
- Click OK. The table is then split into two tables separated by a blank paragraph.
To merge two tables
- Delete the blank paragraph between the tables. You must use the Delete key (not the Backspace key) to do this.
- Select any cell in one of the tables.
- Right-click and choose Merge Tables in the context menu. You can also